Sunday, September 2, 2012

You Just Gotta Laugh

In and around Knoxville, today is known as Booms Day, the day around Labor Day when this HUGE fireworks show is put on down by the river. It's amazing, breathtaking and so great!

This is from 2008.
The Hubs actually proposed to me in 2009 during the finale "waterfall." They used to shoot them all off the Henley Street bridge, but since that's being worked on for the next couple years, they've had to move it around.

Kinda hard to shoot fireworks off a not-bridge.
Anyways, our apartment is at a pretty awesome locale. We can walk to a couple different spots and have a clear view of the sky. So, we got our stuff together, got the boy's Radio Flyer wagon out of his closet, and headed up our hilly parking lot...right as it started to rain. No big deal, we figured. We've got an umbrella and it's not raining too hard. Ha! Before we even got out of the apartment complex it started doing something like this:

Then, there we were. My husband being pulled by our dog (who isn't such a big fan of getting wet) and pulling the wagon, me trying to keep pace and keep the umbrella over the boy, and the boy sitting in his wagon talking about going to see the fireworks. Haha!

Needless to say, we decided to opt out. A bit disappointing, but it's certainly not the first fireworks show I've missed and it won't be the last, I'm sure. More than anything, it asserted something I've been figuring out for a while now:

Sometimes, you just gotta laugh.

Things don't always go the way you want them to. Plans fall through, weather changes, and things just don't happen the way you expected. That's life. It happens. You know what makes it worse? Getting mad and upset over it. You know what saves your night/day? Laughing.

Yes, I wanted to see the fireworks. I wanted to watch Addison's face light up as he watched the giant colorful explosions in the sky. And that didn't work out. But I just laughed as I ran through the rain with my family and I'm having a great night at home with my loving husband and my happy son and I couldn't ask for anything more. :)

Sometimes, you just have to laugh.

- Mommy Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment