Thursday, August 2, 2012

Boobies!

Happy National Breastfeeding Week!

I absolutely love this week! The whole purpose is to celebrate all of those mommas who breastfeed (or support it!) and to raise awareness on just how extremely beneficial breastfeeding is for both the baby AND the momma! Seriously, there are so, so, SO many good things that come from breastfeeding and that knowledge is growing and spreading every single day. Just take a read for yourself: (I looked at a lot of sites and they all agree on all of these points. I've always loved babycenter.com so I chose theirs to share.) How Breastfeeding Benefits You and Your Baby.

When I was pregnant, I heard all about how "breast is best." But if that was true, then why were my obstetricians and doctors giving me packets of information and handfuls of coupons on formula? Sure, there was a lactation consultant that came in and helped me get Addison to latch when we tried to breastfeed for the first time (which can be unbelievably hard!) and there was always someone on call that could come in and help me if I needed it, but it felt like all of these professionals were telling me formula is just as good as breastfeeding. It's not. Did you know that some doctors get paid based on how much formula they can pawn off on mommas? That sounds awful...because it is. Luckily there is a lot being done about this ridiculousness. For starters, the mayor of New York City is laying down some pretty awesome rules for the hospitals. That's just a beginning, but it's a great beginning and I think these types of decisions will spread and impact hospitals all over the place. As pointed out in that article, it's not an issue of taking away choice. Women are still free to formula-feed their baby from day one if they want. It's about education.

Now, there have been extremely awesome strides in making formula as close to breast milk as possible. In fact, there are plenty of good things about formula! I'm not knocking formula-feeders in any way. In fact, I formula-fed Addison for most of his bottle days. That doesn't change the fact that a lot of women out there simply don't know the facts. They don't know the difference or just how beneficial breastfeeding actually is. We are made to feed our babies. That is the true purpose of breasts (despite what your significant others may say). It doesn't matter how big or small they are. It doesn't matter what shape they are or what color they are. Breast IS best.

Here's my personal breastfeeding story:

Addison and I in the hospital the day he was born


I started out all gung-ho about strictly breastfeeding and for about two and a half or three weeks, I did. I just hadn't expected it to be so freakin' hard. I remember, specifically, one night after only being home from the hospital for about a week...I was rocking Addison in the living room around three in the morning, bone tired, desperately trying to get a fussy and hungry newborn to latch...and he just wouldn't. It was breaking my heart that I was sitting here, breasts full of milk just for my son, and I couldn't get him to eat! I felt like a failure as a mother. I sobbed. I sat there holding him, rocking him and apologizing for what felt like hours. No mother wants to feel that way. Ever.

When we continued to have difficulties latching, and I was told I had to supplement formula into my son's diet so he would gain his weight back (which, incidentally, wasn't necessarily true). Once he figured out how much easier it was to drink from a bottle, that was it. He didn't want to latch ever again. I ended up getting a breast pump so he could still have breast milk even if it wasn't straight from me. You want to talk about an extremely awkward and unnatural feeling. I tried, though, and continued to pump for another week and a half or so...until my milk just dried up. I didn't know that there were ways to bring the supply back (ways that aren't even that difficult)! I didn't know that there were plenty of options I had to be able to keep breastfeeding my son. I did not have the support or knowledge I needed to continue to do it. THAT is what this week is all about!

Do I feel guilty for formula-feeding my son for a year of his life? Not at all. He got the nutrients and all the other stuff he needed to grow and be healthy. He is perfect, smart, adorable and all the things I ever wanted him to be. Do I wish I had been able to breastfeed him for longer? Absolutely.

My best friend is still breastfeeding her two-year-old and I think that is so awesome. She is doing the best thing for her little boy, despite all the looks and comments she gets and all the negativity people have towards mommas who breastfeed for longer than a year. Which is ridiculous and a whole different issue...

No, this week is all about being happy and positive and supporting this awesome super power that moms have. If you know a momma who is breastfeeding (or has), go give her a hug and let her know she's awesome. If you know a momma who wanted to or tried to and it didn't work out (whether from physical, mental or environmental circumstances), give her a hug, too, because she deserves it just as much. (Like me!)

You want to show your support publicly? There are lots of ways to do it! You can start by going to Magic-Milk on FB and 'liking' their page because local moms supporting this cause rock. :)
 Here's to all the boobies! :)

-Mommy Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment