Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Hateful People Shouldn't Have Children

The only thing more annoying than a fussy toddler who has had to sit in one spot and wait for twenty minutes before he/she has had a nap and who is unable to play with his/her favorite toy at that exact moment is a rich, spoiled, west Knoxville mom who has an all-too-important hair appointment she simply can't miss, even if it's for something as enriching for her child as story time with a bunch of other kids at the local library. A story time that lasts for a little less than half an hour.

I can understand having engagements to keep. I wouldn't want to be late to an appointment, either, but don't take your frustrations out on your child, the story teller or the parents around you. None of those people have done anything to cause or exacerbate your situation!

You may have already figured this out, but this is what happened last Tuesday at the library.

This woman comes in and sits next to me and I can already tell she's agitated. Her perfectly manicured nails are tapping on one perfectly tanned arm while her crossed leg is bouncing up and down causing her high-fashion sandal to flop back and forth over her perfectly painted toes. Most parents who arrive early (myself included) will do one of a few things: 1) let the kid go pick out a book and read to them, 2) let their kid go sit in the middle of story area and play with other kids, or 3) give your kid your phone and let them play angry birds. (Probably not the best or most educational choice but holy crap does it work!)

Do you know what isn't so helpful? Making irritated sighing noises, looking at your watch with exaggerated movements every few seconds and complaining in ridiculous stage whispers about how late the story teller is or all of the incredibly important things you need to do. If it comes to that, then go. The rest of us who are there to actually enjoy ourselves and share a super fun and healthy interaction with our children and other people in our community certainly don't want your negativity all up in our space.

Was I irritated that the story teller was twenty minutes late? A little, but I know how important it is to have these fun group activities with toddlers and I would gladly sit and entertain my son for a half hour in order to have the joy of watching him enraptured in a story, answering questions when he's asked and dancing around in a shower of bubbles while he stares with glee at his new sticker.

There is just no reason to be in a crappy mood when you can do something to change your circumstances; and there is certainly no reason to inflict your crappy mood on other people. How ridiculous is that! Misery may love company, but my company certainly doesn't love your misery.

What's even better is that when I, rather nicely I thought, told the woman that if she was so upset and busy she could always leave, she looked at me as if I had grown horns out of my head. Seriously? Is that such an outlandish notion that you have to glare at me like I'm the one who is complaining and whining? Please.

It's such a shame that her child has to be in her company for the majority of his life at present. He was a cute little boy who was only too happy to sit in the floor and play with the other kids there.

That's my boy in the red shirt with the adorable blond curls. He's so cute and attentive.



I do want to congratulate that mom who, like me, suggested that if the story teller didn't show up within the next few minutes we should go and pick out some books and read them to the gathered children ourselves. I'm going to school to be a teacher. I am certainly not intimidated by a gaggle of toddlers staring at me expectantly and, you can ask Addison, I can read stories in funny voices better than most.

That is definitely an awesome mom super power.

-Mommy Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment