Monday, June 25, 2012

When They Won't Poo In The Potty...

Do you know what's ridiculous?

Well, I could think of several things. The most recent thing in my life, however, and the most ridiculous is attempting to potty-train a 2 1/2 year old. Now, a lot of studies like this one talk about how potty training before three isn't necessary unless the child tells the parent that he/she is ready.

My son, the absolute cutest and smartest boy ever...

See? Cutest boy. I'm not a liar.




...my son will pee in the potty every single time he needs to...when he's naked. You put a diaper on his butt, though, and he'll just happily go in the diaper. It beats all I've ever seen! You know what's even better? Of course you don't. If you did, you wouldn't be sitting here reading about it. You'd be at my house KNOWING it. That would just be weird. Let me just tell you what's even better.

When he has to poo, poop, do #2, drop some kids off at the pool, or whatever you call it at your house, he will go into his room. He will open his closet door and pull out the drawer of the storage bin that's hidden in his closet. He will reach into this drawer and pull out a diaper which he will promptly bring to me. He will then go back into his room to get the container of wipes. He will hand these to me, as well, and then just lay down on the floor and wait.

Seriously, kid?

It would be infinitely faster if he would just pull his shorts on down, undo his diaper (which he does often), plop his cute little butt on the potty and do it there. Less mess, less clean up and less diapers to buy! Does my 2 1/2 year old understand this? Of course not.

That article I linked to mentions how awful it is for children (or anyone, really) to hold it instead of going immediately when you feel you need to. It makes sense (even before you read the horror stories about Nerf ball-sized poo stuck in the intestines). This is obviously not a joking matter and it makes me sad that some parents are so stressed about having their children potty-trained at the "right time" that they risk these awful consequences. Until a really great mommy friend of mine shared this link with me, I had no idea how serious these things can actually get. If you, my dear readers, know any parents with toddlers, please share this information with them!

That being said, it is a little funny when my boy runs around frantically to get his diaper and wipes to me before he goes in the floor.

-Mommy Michelle


No comments:

Post a Comment